Internet Protocol (IP) address is a value assigned to the devices that are connected over a network. A network uses a set of rules (Protocols) for communication. IP address mainly serves two important functions: location of the device and host identification. An example of an IP address looks like this – 192.168.0.1. Data is sent in the form of packets over the network with the help of TCP/IP protocols. It is one of the fascinating inventions of the modern world. It helps us to connect with other devices of the network. An IP address follows the rules of TCP/IP to provide connectivity. Every website has its own URL and unique IP address.
It is one of the most common versions of the IP address. It consists of four numbers and they are separated with dots. The range of four numbers is between 0 – 255. IP address plays an important role in the secure transmission of data over the network. 192.168.0.1 belongs to Class C. Without IP address sending and receiving of data is impossible. We can retrieve data with the help of an IP address. They are a unique combination of numbers connected with millions of ports.
An IP address is of two types.
- Static IP address
- Dynamic IP address
- A static IP address is a permanent one and never changes with time.
- A dynamic IP address is a temporary one and it is connected to the ports on the network.
Regional Registers on the Internet assign an IP address from three classes.
- Class A
- Class B
- Class C
There is another class which is named as Class D used for multicasting only. With new inventions in the technological world, there is an urgent need for a new version of the IP address. So IPv6 was launched to increase the address size from 32 to 128 bits.
How To Know IP Address Of Own PC?
Follow these steps to know the IP address of your device.
- Open command prompt
- Press the Window button with R and type cmd in the field
- Run IP configuration tool and press enter
- Look for your active connection and find the IP address
Facts About IP Address
- It is a part of TCP/IP protocols
- It is a networking software to connect your device over the network
- It is the language of a computer with binary digits in the form of 0’s and 1’s.
- It works the same in all parts of the world
- It is versatile and complex to understand the whole mechanism of connections
- Host identification can be done through subnet masking.
The IP address can be calculated with the help of many procedures relating to subnetting. Subnets mean a network inside the network. Its main work is to split the connections so that IP addresses will be used again. 192.168.0.1 this IP address can be broken more to identify the subnets and digits. With the increasing demand for IP addresses, IPv6 comes into the picture that allows more combinations of binary digits. It is calculated with mathematical terms and combinations.